The electricity is 220 volts 50Hz and outlets are for two small round pin plugs.
All rates of accommodation are subject to VAT, the Spanish version of value added tax, which is 7%. Generally, this tax is included in rates of the cheapest hotels but it is hardly included in the most expensive ones. Reduced VAT rate: 7%, standard VAT rate: 16%.
• January 1st: New Year’s Day
• April 13th: Good Friday
• May 1st: Labour day
• August 15th: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin
• October 12th: National Day of Spain
• November 1st: All Saints Day
• December 6th: Anniversary of the Spanish constitution
• December 8th: The Immaculate Conception
• December 25th: Christmas Day
• Maundy Thursday and Good Friday during the Holy Week
Local celebrations held in Madrid:
• Madrid: May 15th, San Isidro
• November 9th: Nuestra Señora de la Almudena (Our Lady of Almudena)
Celebrations of the Autonomous region:
• January 6th: Epiphany
• May 2nd: Fiesta de la Comunidad de Madrid (Madrid Community)
Important telephone numbers
• General emergencies (police, firemen and ambulances) 112
• Police 091
• Local police: 092
• Fire brigade 080
• Ambulances 061
A large number of public telephones boxes can be found along the city, which work with phone cards and/or coins and are available for both, local and long-distance calls.
Phone cards can be bought in the “estancos” (tobacco shops) and post offices. Telephone boxes as well as fax and Internet services can be found at the main office of “Telefónica” (Gran Vía 30, opened from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily)
The dialling code for long-distance calls is 07 and for national numbers outside Madrid it is 91.
Telephone centres: Gran Vía, 30. Plaza de Colón, Paseo de Recoletos, 41. Palacio de las Comunicaciones, Plaza de Cibeles.
Since January 1st 2002 the Euro (€) is the official monetary unit of Spain, which is divided into 100 cents.
Coins are available in: 1, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cent coins and 1 and 2 Euros.
There are seven different denominations: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 Euros.
Credit and debit cards
Most shops in Spain accept credit and debit cards. The main ones are: VISA, 4B, Mastercard, American Express, Red 6000 and Diners Club.
Traveller's cheque can be paid in at any bank or at most hotels.